Our Mission: To serve, support and empower the diverse LGBT communities of Second Life®
Our governing principles, objectives and goals can be found in the By-Laws of Second Pride.
The concept and idea is similar to the well known Gay Pride Celebrations held around the world. The Second Pride Festival, however, is about an international gathering of LGBT people in the virtual world of Second Life® created by Linden Lab™.
Since it’s beginnings, Second Pride has raised and donated in excess of $25,000US to various charities and causes.
Second Pride was born around 2005 in small gathering of LGBT groups in the LGBT region of Province Town in Second Life. Back then the participants were almost all from the same few groups and it is only later that it grew when they decided to make their celebration event available to all of SL by making it much bigger.
Beginning in 2007, the Second Pride Committee has chosen a Real or 1st Life charity to designate as the recipient of proceeds raised above and beyond those required for the “business” of organizing events leading up to the annual Second Pride Festival as well as the Festival itself. Over the years, Second Pride has raised thousands of dollars in support of these Real World organizations whose mission and goals dovetail with our own. As Second Pride moves into a new era we will be supporting “in-world” Second Life groups and organizations that share our interest and concern and further LGBT causes.
Second Pride achievements
- In 2007 & 2008, the Second Pride Committees chose Global Giving as their designated charity in support of the Nyaka School in Uganda. The Nyaka School provides free primary education and extracurricular activities to children who have been orphaned due to HIV/AIDS in rural villages of Uganda.
Over these two years an equivalent total of about 11’000 USD$ was raised in L$ for the school.
- The 2009Second Pride Committee designated Amnesty International and their OUTFront project as the recipient of the proceeds from fundraising efforts. Amnesty International’s real life work in support of Human Rights worldwide is well known. And they now have a virtual world presence in the form of Amnesty International E in Second Life. A total of L$1,873,624 (approx. 6’600 USD$) was donated.
- Second Pride 2010 hosted fundraisers every month at various venues as well as supporting fundraisers hosted by other Second Life® Clubs, Groups and Businesses. Second Pride 2010 was pleased to partner with the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) to raise money for the continuing struggle for Human Rights & Social Justice world wide and also participated in making a special fundraiser for Haïti in Second Life.
The amount raised for Haïti was approx $L161577 (USD$ 621.85) And the donation made to the IGLHRC reached the amount of L$1,966,676 (approx 6933 USD$).
- Second Pride 2011 authorized $1000US to the IGLHRC through the contributions of our festival sponsors and attendees.
- Second Pride 2012 hopes to bring Our group “out of the closet” and introduce ourselves to real world Pride groups and invite them to participate and show a presence in our virtual world Pride celebration in June 2012.